Wednesday, July 9, 2008

My 90 Day Supply


So about 3 months ago, after hearing it from at least 6 people - I decided that I had better start getting my 3 month supply together. This has always been an issue for me - we got a few things during the Y2K scare (figured if worse came to worse the Wallaces would feed us :0) but have never had food storage. So I decided to finally get on board. For those of you who know me, you know I can't do anything halfway..... so I kinda over did it. Not with the actual purchasing of food (that is still a work in progress) but with the way I went about organizing it.


First off, I wasn't even sure what I was supposed to have for a 90 day supply. I really did not want to just buy a bunch of wheat and beans and stuff I would NEVER use. So I checked the church website, and it recommended just getting 90 days worth of stuff you use right now that you could rotate through easily. So this is where I got a little crazy. I put together a spreadsheet and figured out about 10-12 different dinners (less variety for breakfast and lunch) that we eat often. Then I figured out all of the ingredients for the meals and how much of each I would need to cover 90 days for my whole family. Then I made a separate sheet in my spreadsheet with a list of all of the items I needed to buy and the quantity I needed for each. Then I headed to Walmart (definitely the cheapest place for groceries here in Idaho - and our Walmarts are nice - not like what we saw in Vegas - I would not step foot in there!) and priced out every product on my list.


So then I set a budget of $100 a week to buy food storage items (separate from my grocery budget). Every week I check the sale ads for Smith's and Albertsons, and if an item on my Walmart list is cheaper there, I will go there and buy a bunch of it. I did not limit my storage to food either. I have everything we would need if we could not make it to the store for 3 months. So laundry detergent, shampoo, soap, toothpaste, cleaning supplies, garbage bags etc - it's all on the list.


After that I got a little bit crazy and went ahead and planned out my family's dinner menu for a month at a time making sure to include at least 6 dinners a month that I could make from food storage items. As far as rotation goes (my kids think I am crazy), I have the spreadsheet of everything that is supposed to be in storage posted down right next to the shelves where I store everything and every time we use something from food storage, we put an X in the box next to that item and then I add it to my grocery list for the next week. Since I have my entire menu for the month planned out, I try to only go to the grocery store once a week. I make a list of items I need for the weeks food, then add any used food storage from the week before. It has been working pretty well. I would say I have about 75% of my food storage items purchased. Just a few more weeks and I will be at a full 100%.


For the first time in my married life (that is almost 17 years) - I actually have a supply of food on hand! Feels pretty good.

4 comments:

Jules said...

good job, steph!!!

Perry Family said...

YEAH!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad you have a blog! I've been doing a blog since Jan, and its lots of fun, its even better to have family do it. I love your three month supply, I really need to get on the ball and get one ready. I love all your pics...everyone looks amazing!

Razch said...

Wow, you are organized, aren't you?
Props to you!

conner posse said...

Hello!!! I just found your blog via Uncle Dick's website. How are you guys? It's fun to see you blogging as well. Kudos to you, on getting that supply up and going! We have a small food storage but we really could do better. My big thing is...WATER! We have a case from Costco and that's about it. Yikes! Don't forget to add your guilty pleasures - I am definitely going to rotate the Snickers bars and Strawberry Twizzlers. Yumm...