Wednesday, September 24, 2008

It's Potato Time!

Yeah - the trucks are rolling, the equipment out, the dirt turned, and potatoes are being harvested! I was visiting teaching night before last and the lady whom we were teaching asked if we had gleaned any potatoes yet (for those of you who are not familiar with the term - it means take what you can use, and applies to not just potato harvesting). Yikes! I hurried and gave the lesson and was out the door so I could get some good harvesting in before sundown. I called my sister Julie and told her to hurry and bring a bucket or box for us to use.

For those of you who do not live in Idaho, the harvesting of potatoes is all done by machinery. About 3 weeks before harvest, they kill the plants (some farmers just roll over them with heavy equipment - others spray them with a chemical that kills the above ground part of the plant, others wait for the first freeze). This process actually sets the skins on the potatoes. If they skipped this step, the skins would come right off. Once the skins are set, large machinery comes through and "digs" the rows of potatoes up. This same piece of equipment has a conveyor belt. As the potatoes move up the belt, the dirt and vines are shaken off and then the potatoes are dropped into a huge truck that rolls along side the harvester. Click here to watch a short video of an actual Idaho potato harvest.

I explain all of this for a reason. The trucks only make one pass over each row, and they have to turn corners with a machine that has zero turning radius. Tons of potatoes are left on the ground - especially at the corners. The farmers are more than willing to let the average Joe go in after the machinery is done and get as many potatoes as you can find. Otherwise, they rot in the ground. So needless to say in just under 30 minutes, Julie and I were able to get a good size tote full of potatoes.





Potatoes on the ground after the truck has run through the field



We decided it would be great fun to take her 3 little boys out yesterday after school for their first potato harvest. At first we were met with quite a bit of opposition to the idea - they were just too busy playing with friends. But after my assurance that it would be fun, they reluctantly got in the car. Once we hit the fields, they were off having the time of their lives. They compared it to an Easter egg hunt - with the coveted prize not being the most brightly colored egg - but the biggest potato. Let me tell you we found some WHOPPERS. Nothing like these ever make it to the stores. You could feed an entire family on 1 potato!





Bryan, my nephew & his HUGE potato



The potatoes are "California Whites", which the farmer explained to us are strictly a "processing" potato. They do not kill the plant to set the skins on these ones. They are meant for the processors who make them into french fries, dried potato flakes, frozen hash browns, etc. They are not good for baked potatoes, but they make excellent mashed or au gratin potatoes. The russets are being harvested later this week so we will head out and get some of those also. Believe me when I tell you there is NOTHING like fresh potatoes.

7 comments:

Perry Family said...

I seriously wish I was up there right now getting some awesome ID potatoes!! That sounds like some fun...I can't believe how HUGE the potatoes get...seriously so giant! One day I will come and get some fresh potatoes!!

Linda said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! The potato seeds were gone by the time my MOL planted this year. Next year we'll be more experienced and have potatoes AND pumpkins!

whirlygig said...

Did you find any potato bugs? If so, how big do they get? There's a great recipe for potato bugs at http://www.potatobugs.com/articles/recipes_01.html. I'll be watching your weekly menu for Spring Potato Bug Strata or something similar.

LaRae said...

Oh my gosh that is one HUGE potato! I really am envious, & I really do wish I could be there to get some of those fresh potatoes. Thanks for sending Benny pictures of the big trucks!

Michele and Todd said...

That is a very large potato, and I am sure that I have never before seen a potato that big. Is itgetting cold in Idaho yet. Seems like everywhere in the west there is an Indian Summer going on.
As far as the magazine goes, I will be hopefully bringing copies to Fairview in November. The issue will come out the first of Nov.

Brackett Clan said...

You're talking me into moving to Idaho! Too bad we don't have a job out there. Sounds like fun, and yummy too! I love to make mashed tators.
How are you guys? What are your plans for the holidays?

Perry Family said...

Hey can I have your chili and cornbread recipe...that looks yummy!